Thursday 2 October 2014

Work hard, harder, HARDER!

This question has been haunting me since quite some time. I have seen people being passionate about their work. I have seen people work hard. I have seen universities, colleges, workplaces having impossible deadlines. And I have seen students make those impossible deadlines possible.
This makes me wonder. Do we have any other life? We talk about work-life balance. Isn't work-life balance important for students? Isn't it equally important for people who are passionate about their work? But then again, this is a crazy world. There's competition. There's tough competition everywhere. Really tough. If I wait to talk about my work-life balance, I am going to be left behind. If I give time to myself, someone's going to overtake me.This makes me question- Isn't this leading to an unhealthy work atmosphere. If we look at the big picture- A work routine which is going to be harmful to the society in the long run? If we foster this kind of environment in colleges, this is what students are going to learn. It is being imbibed into their lives. These students are going to be at their workplaces tomorrow. What work culture are they going to cultivate? Work hard. Superb! But work crazy? No. This is no what we want.What about family? Friends? Life? Yourself? Where are you losing yourself in this? This big world of the internet, social media, career!
And then of course, there is the question of money. There's poverty everywhere. People don't have food to eat. They don't care about a work-life! It's a fight, not just competition. It's a circle. A cycle. It's much bigger a problem than we think. Who is going to break it? Why do we have so many cases of depression? Anxiety? Various other illnesses. Where does it all start from? How do we end it? We certainly cannot stop working. We cannot start working less. And as I write this post, this question still haunts me. What does 'hard work' mean, in this crazy world of ours?

No comments:

Post a Comment